Your home is your biggest investment. Homeownership comes with a lot of responsibility and a variety of unique tasks like Home Improvement Projects. Whether you’re planning a Kitchen Renovation, a Bathroom Remodel, hoping to change out your Carpet to Wood Flooring or Tile or want to Stucco your home or need a new Roof, it can be daunting to choose the right contractor for your Home Renovation. We understand that making the decision to hire a general contractor for any home remodel is not easy. The goal is to hire a quality company that can complete your project efficiently while ensuring the outcome is functional and looks great. Doing the job right the first time will save money on future repairs. So we have made a list of things you should look for in a General Contractor before hiring them for your next Home Renovation.
1. License: make sure the contractor is licensed. In New Mexico, you can check the contractor’s license by going to https://www.rld.nm.gov/construction-industries/
2. Insurance: The contractor should have a general liability insurance policy. This is just in case something on your property is accidentally damaged while they are on the job. Feel free to ask to see certificates of insurance.
3. References: Ask for references. Check their online reviews and/or check their reputation with the Better Business Bureau.
4. Get an in-home estimate: Have your contractor describe in detail the scope of work. From visiting the job site, the contractor should have a solid idea of what it’s going to take to achieve what you’re looking for.
5. Ethics: Don’t undervalue the importance of a contractor’s ethics. A professional will put his client’s interests as a top priority. Hiring an honest contractor is always less expensive than hiring a dishonest one. Be wary of an initially low price. An unethical contractor will hit you with subliminal costs that were not reflected in their original estimate.
6. Ask questions: for example, How long has your company been in business? What is the timeline for this project? Will you be acquiring a permit to complete this job? Better communication = A better end result
The right general contractor will be skilled, experienced, trustworthy, and professional. Once you do your homework and you find a contractor with those characteristics your project can begin.
If you live in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho, or the surrounding area and you’re looking for a contractor to complete a home renovation project, contact Allstate General Contractors, Inc. and we would be happy to provide a free in-home estimate.